Friday, June 30, 2017

The 5 Ways I Will Win Camp NaNoWriMo!


It is June 30, 2017 and this is the year I want to write a novel. No, I am going to write a novel. If you’re not already aware, July is Camp NaNoWriMo month and tens of thousands of people will gather in their homes, local Starbucks, and libraries to come up with the next great classic (or just a smutty romance novel, but no shame). I first discovered NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo (for the record, that is hell to type out more than once in a paragraph) back in 2013, and it’s been a personal challenge to complete  a novel in this 31 day ‘challenge.’ I use challenge loosely here because it’s a personal challenge, not an actual competition against my fellow writers.

So here I sit, writing a blog post instead of a book outline, contemplating how to write a ‘real book.’ What does that even mean? I think I’ve personally stigmatized writing for the sake of creating a document, and writing a purely planned piece of fiction. But does there really have to be a difference? I’d like to think that a book is a book is a book, but I haven’t sat down to write anything of substance in years due to the fact that I’m afraid it won’t be beautiful, thought-provoking, or right. Well, let this post be proof to the fact that July 2017 will be the year I write a book (or at least a several page document that will lead me to truly becoming the writer I want to become)!

How does one become an accomplished* writer?
*Accomplished here used in reference to actually writing a finished piece of work.

1. Netflix & Chill = Death of Creativity
I know I’m not the only person out there who sits languidly for hours on end with my face stuck in Netflix, YouTube or Hulu. Binging a creative piece of work that I didn’t have to imagine or produce is literally my favorite part of every day. I brew a cup of coffee, open the blinds to let in the sun, and spend the first two hours of my day going through my YouTube subscription feed. It reminds me of how my mother and grandmother always watch Dr. Phil or Ellen Degeneres in their free time, taking in the updates of the world (if only on a social scale) and letting it wash over you until you feel a little more informed. Not to say that I don’t admire their commitment to a schedule, but unfortunately I will have to detox myself from these binge pits. I think the best I can say is that I will cut this binging in half to at least allow myself to pull up a chair away from my living room and stare at a different screen: my laptop open to a Word document.

2. Outlining and Planning Counts
Camp NaNoWriMo ‘winners’ are those that reach their chosen word count goal, set automatically to 50,000 words. HOLY CRAP I COULD RANT FOREVER IF I HAD 50,000 WORDS. At least, that’s what I think every time I open up the story options on the website and pretend like I’m going to write something this year. I think a huge sink in my motivation ends up being the fact that I will spend 2-5 days wanting to outline and plan my novel. Spending this much time planning to write a book can mean that this word count goal seems unobtainable. 1,900+ words a day after planning seems like enough to make me want to tweeze my eyeballs out, BUT I have a plan. I don’t really care how long it takes to plan my story, because as it stands in my word document, any planning stages of my story will count toward my word count. Unfair? I don’t care!! Any amount of time put toward this project will be success, and will every thousand words I pile on in hopes of evolving this craft, I will congratulate myself and imagine pulling myself through the dirt and grime and rocks to get to the end of this project. Inspiring, right?

3. Change of Scenery
Like I said before, I really enjoy a good cup of coffee and a binge of any version of media. I will sit down in my super comfy lounge chair, curl my legs up under me, and lose 3+ hours daily to my subscriptions. My remedy for this is already in place as I write this post. I will change things up, both minorly and majorly. Right now, I’m just in a kitchen chair at my TV tray writing away (super fancy, I know) but I will be that person everyone hates: the super fancy writer in the Starbucks using up the free wifi, sitting in a local bookstore hogging the outlet with my laptop charger. I will go outside my comfort zone even if it means a measly 500 words toward my project. Any refreshment to my normally meh environment will be a cool blast of air to my motivation.

4. Sleep Schedule?
Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of non-work time in my life. Taking away my TV binge-time will allow me more of a creative space to work with in my planner, but ultimately I’m going to have to make some changes in the bedroom. No, not that kind of changes… I may need to actually abide by an alarm clock to wake me up, not just waking up whenever the sun eventually scratches through my eyelids. It may be time to mandate a 9am alarm so I can get my brain pumping out words, so that I won’t feel like I’ve lost all this potential by waking up at 12pm for a 2pm work shift… This may be a flexible tactic, but as long as it’s in print, I may have to do it anyway!

5. Charting my Progress
The most basic way to be successful at this writing challenge is by motivating myself with what I’ve already done. I will be using the generated Camp NaNoWriMo chart to see where I’m at with my word count, but I will also be plotting how much I write per day with some sort of color-coding in my personal word document. I don’t know how well this color-coding will help when it comes to editing and sectioning out my story, but something about the division of each day’s labor in visual form is very soothing to me. I love to see my progress because every word written is another reason to keep writing. For instance, this post alone is already going to be about the amount of writing I need to do daily to keep up a good goal. So already, charting progress: check!


If all goes as planned, I will be outlining whatever story strikes me in a simultaneously opened Word document directly after posting this blog post. Although my word count technically starts tomorrow, I am committed to the spirit of creating. It might be sloppy and it might not even be anything I want to publish or have under my name after I write it, but it will be a finished piece of work that I created and stand behind (perhaps shamelessly). Come July 31st, I will be a writer (more officially than I am now, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment