Monday, April 11, 2016

Reading Goals Discussion & March Reading Wrap-Up

3 months into 2016 and I feel as if I've been leading a reading lie. On Goodreads, I set myself a goal of reading 45 books this year. In my mind, that meant 45 novels. Like many other book lovers, I have several hundred books on my TBR list. Some of which I truly want to read, while sometimes I use my TBR list as  dumping place to put titles that I just want to look into. More often than not, I will purge my list and decide that some books can be passed by, but others remain. Beyond this, simply looking at my Goodreads challenge is where I see the issue: I did not take into account the fact that I sometimes read manga, graphic novels, and childrens' picture books. These are easy reads (in length, not necessarily in meaning) and mean I can quickly zoom through sometimes 5 or more pieces of literature in a single day.

Where does this put me? As of the end of March 2016, I've read 35 books toward my 45 book goal. But, here are the stats of what I actually read:

13 novels (37%)
9 graphic novels & comic books (26%)
4 manga (11%)
9 children's picture books (26%)

In reality, I have only read 13 novels toward my goal of 45. To reiterate, I am only 3 months into 2016 so I do have time to recover this clearly unbalanced reading pattern. And I do understand I'm kind of freaking out over something that is ultimately pretty silly in the long run, but as a person who does enjoy setting and sometimes meeting goals, this is upsetting!

Anyway, on to the wrap-up (which may or may not be in video format later!). Any blog posts or video reviews associated with these will be included below, but if I only did a short review on Goodreads, make sure to check out my ongoing 2016 review list here.


The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
(click for review - video)

Tampa by Alissa Nutting
(click for review - video)

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
(click for review - video)

Mamasaurus by Stephan Lomp

Isabella: Girl on the Go by Jennifer Fosberry

Zeus: King of the Gods by George O'Connor

The White Cat and the Monk by Jo Ellen Bogart

Earrings! by Judith Viorst

Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess by George O'Connor

WHY? by Nicholas Popov

The Many Selves of Katherine North by Emma Geen
**ARC from Netgalley - ETA publish date: June 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment